SyntaxHighlighter

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Blogging isn’t as easy as it looks

image This is not really an Android focused post so much as it is a post on posting.  How’s  that for an opening sentence?  As someone used to writing in Word and PowerPoint it was surprisingly hard to get my first posts formatted like I wanted.  Just too used to be able to copy and paste images and copy in code snippets.  I was under the impression that I could continue that normal way of business.  This was reinforced by the fact that my first blog experience (with SharePoint) I was able to pretty much copy from Word into the SharePoint blog interface.  Even then the whole process felt like it was much harder than it should be.  I had an even ruder awakening when I tried to copy over a blog from SharePoint hosted to Blogger.  Having code snippets (XML for that matter) does not make the Blogger interface happy.  After quite some time hunting around I found my tool of choice – for now – Windows Live Writer.  So far it seems to be doing a good job of keeping me in my comfort zone and streamlining the publishing.  If you have something better let me know!  I’m not shy about upgrading if it makes things easier.
One thing that did throw me off about blogger was the width of the actual blog interface.  The default is surprisingly narrow to me and it was more difficult than expected to update.  But find it I did.  I’m posting it here since I’m sure I’ll forget how I did it later. 
(1) Go to your design tab in your Blogger dashboard
(2) Select Edit HTML and then search for something like this:
<b:variable default='930px' name='content.width' type='length' value='1200px'/>
(3) Change the value to what you want and save.  DISCLAIMER – you may want to backup your original template first.

No comments:

Post a Comment